These are truly the best homemade soft flour tortillas. These come out so chewy and pliable which makes folding them into a taco, so easy. This recipe makes 16 tortillas and only takes about 30 minutes. Plus, we had all the ingredients on hand and now I don’t think I’ll ever run to the store to buy tortillas again!
4 basic ingredients you most likely already have at home! Flour, baking powder, oil, and of course water.
Measure out your flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to bowl and combine.
Add in your oil and combine well
This is the important part! When you add your water, you want it to be as hot as possible, but not boiling. This will help to soften the dough so it will be easier to roll out.
Once the water has been pretty mixed in, begin using your hands to fold in the rest of the dough.
Transfer to your counter with some flour on the surface. Using your knife, divide the dough into 15 sections.
Roll each section into balls and place a towel over to rest for 15 minutes.
Add a little more flour to your working surface and use your rolling pin to roll them out into little tortillas. Don’t try too hard to make them perfect circles! The organic shape of them is what I truly love about this. Really gives it that homemade feel.
Add a bit of oil to your pan on medium heat. Once your tortilla has bubbles forming, go-ahead and flip now! I waited about 60 seconds to flip each tortilla.
Stack up the tortillas and serve them while they’re hot! Thats it. These homemade soft flour tortillas recipe made me 16 tortillas. Use them for quesadillas, tacos, or make bigger balls and form them into burrito tortillas. One thing I also want to do is cut the dough up into triangles and make them into chips to dip! View some of my salsa recipes below!
shop this post
See how I paired these tortillas with my Taco Charcuterie Board! Let me know what you think in the comments below, or what you want to see next!
As always, please comment, share, and subscribe! So I can keep creating fun and valuable content just like this!
tortilla – Recipe
Prep Time- 20 minutes
Cook Time- 10 minutes
Total Time- 30 minutes
- Heat up water to just under a boil.
- Measure flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to bowl and mix.
- Add in oil and mix thoroughly.
- Pour hot water and mix with a spoon. When you can tolerate the temperature, begin folding the dough with your hands.
- Once the dough is mixed, shape it into a ball.
- Dust your working surface with flour and place the dough ball on top. Divide into 15 sections.
- Take each section and roll them into little balls.
- Place on a sheet and cover them to rest for 15 minutes.
- Flour your surface area again and roll each ball out into a thin (not see-through) thickness.
- Heat your pan to medium heat and add a little cooking oil.
- Place the tortilla shaped dough on your pan and allow it to cook for about 60 seconds. You will see bubbles form on the surface.
- Flip it over and cook for another 30-60 seconds. Remove from heat and stack them up once they’re done. Serve while warm!
*This post contains affiliate links. If you click on these links and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you*