If you haven’t heard of Pão de Queijo, let me sum it up for you. It is the most delicious gluten-free, cheese bread you will ever eat. Now, be cautious though because this is more like a snacking bread. However, I suppose you could possibly make sliders out of them, but you will most likely enjoy them just on their own.
Plus, how convenient that the recipe involves all staple ingredients! Well, minus tapioca flour (for me at least). I will say now, that I will definitely be keeping tapioca flour on hand from now on!
This gooey, flavorful, chewy bread is unlike anything I’ve ever had. My first experience with cheese bread was at a local farmers market from an independent vendor. Once I got home, I reheated it in the oven and was instantly hooked. I just HAD to figure out how to make my own! Well, here it is! There are tons of different elements and flavors you can add to these. The recipe I share here is traditional cheese bread. I plan on playing with this recipe to make truffle bread! I will share once I have succeeded in that. Ha!
They come fresh out of the oven perfectly fluffed up, crisp outer crust yet a soft, gooey inside. The tapioca flour is non-replaceable in this recipe. That is how you will get the dense outer and soft inner!
Cheese Bread – Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 10-15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
NOTE: Do not replace the tapioca flour. This is key for the consistency this recipe creates.
- In a space pan, add in your milk, butter, and salt. Wait until you see bubbles start to form and the butter is all melted
- Remove from heat
- Preheat oven to 375
- Add tapioca flour directly into the milk/butter mix
- Transfer to a bowl, or your stand mixer. Continue to mix until well combined
- Add in one egg until fully incorporated
- Add in the second egg and fully mix
- The dough should be slimy looking and now is when you add your cheese
- After the cheese is fully mixed in, your dough is complete
- Butter a non-stick pan
- Scoop out about 2-3 TBL size of dough and roll into balls
- Bake for 10-15 minutes
- Let them set on the pan after baking, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Enjoy warm while fresh, or preheat 350 for 5-10 minutes!
Follow me for more, just like this!
If you liked this recipe and want more like it or have special requests, leave a comment below! Share this page or, Pin to your Pinterest account for later (: